Sr Field Tech
This is a predominately field-based position in Chicagoland with work-from-home options.
Responsibilities include traveling to client sites to perform onsite work. On-site work is 60%-80% with some variance during the year. Technicians must have reliable transportation with the ability to transport hardware to client sites. We offer generous reimbursements for any work travel. Tickets that can be solved remotely can be handled from home or from one of our offices, located in Inverness and Chicago.
PCS INTERNATIONAL OFFERS
- Comprehensive benefits package, including a retirement plan with match.
- Company laptop, which after 2 years you get to keep, and you get a new one!
- Webcam, microphone, office supplies, VOIP phone, and printer as needed.
- Growth opportunities with a defined training plan, paid certifications and training materials.
- Generous reimbursement for travel (mileage, train, bus, parking, etc.)
- Technical support from Tier 1 (Desktop), Tier 2 (Network Admin), through Tier 3 (Network Engineering).
- Support vCIO doing things such as infrastructure audits, budgeting, strategic direction & roadmaps.
- Track time through the day to specific tickets accurately and in as real-time as possible.
- Work with multiple clients and switch gears throughout the day. No two days are alike, so it is important to enjoy variety.
- Management of an individual ticket queue. If it gets low, you dip into the unassigned pool or help other team members with theirs. Everyone gets a cool dashboard showing what is going on companywide, so it is easy to tell what is going on and who needs some help.
- Collaborate with team members on support tickets and projects. Teamwork and support are imperative for success.
- Act as the initial point of contact, work towards resolution, collaborate with other team members supporting escalation as needed – or anything in between. We have one goal – solve client problems and everyone plays their part.
- Participate in the 24 x 7 on-call rotation team (and yes that also includes holidays): You will be primary on-call person for one week then, secondary for about two months, and repeat.
- Attend and contribute to client tactical and strategic calls with core clients.
Work Ethic and Practices
- Working effectively under budget constraints. We know you (and techs) love solving problems, but you understand that sometimes we need to collaborate in order to quickly resolve the problems for Managed Services operations to be profitable.
- Troubleshooting, problem-solving and using critical-thinking skills. Can you help the team think creatively? Is your Google-fu stronger than theirs? Will you remind them to call the vendor or phone-a-friend for help? Can you help them step back and look at a problem without the blinders?
- Being independent, self-motivated and proactive when making recommendations. When you have a good suggestion to help a client or the company, we want you to (and expect you to) share it!
- Demonstrating a sense of urgency towards client service. You get that real people made these tickets and those people have their jobs to do. They opened the ticket for help so you understand we need to get them working again as soon as possible!
- Being comfortable and even-tempered in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment. Some days are crazy, you must be good with that and shift gears on the fly and ENJOY it.
- Working responsibly and effectively from home. If you are working at home, it means you are actually working from home. You are still cranking through tickets and fixing stuff, not painting your garage. You know that home projects are what the weekends are for.
Requirements – stuff you HAVE to have or please do not even apply
- 10+ Years of information technology industry experience. You are going to hit the ground running, working tickets the first week.
- Effective communicator (verbal & written).
- Current or recent role is a mix or remote and hands-on , performing tasks directly themselves. We need to see you have done this kind of work before and in the field.
- Experience with small to mid-sized organizations. Big companies operate different than small ones. We work mostly with the smaller end and we need to see you have done that before.
- Calm under pressure. Possesses the soft skills to instill client confidence. There are times where client emotions are running high (after all, their stuff doesn’t work – which is why they are calling you!) and sometimes you won’t know the answer. That is ok so long as you can comfort the client enough to go get reinforcements!
- Team Player including sharing knowledge internally. There are no solo operators on our team.
- Demonstrated continuous learning.
- Experience with time-tracking and ticketing.
- Understands the purpose and the value of process and procedure. Did I mention no solo operators? You must realize you are not the first person in the world to ever setup a computer. We have processes and procedures which includes the wisdom of many smart people. You need to use those procedures and contribute to making them even better.
Strongly Preferred skills that will put you top of our list!
- Industry certifications around Infrastructure (MCP, CCNA, A+, N+, Security+).
- Prior Consulting or MSP (with field work) experience.
- Experience with Educational customers (High School/College)
- Has good documentation skills.
- Demonstrated effectiveness serving external customers.
- College degree, ideally in a STEM related field.
Bonus Skills – super star material!
- ConnectWise Manage and/or Automate (LabTech) experience.
- Apple macOS, Linux, and/or CyberSecurity experience.
- Cloud Hosting (Office 365/Azure and/or AWS) experience.
- Servers (Windows Focus) including virtualization (Hyper-V, VMware, cloud).
The Perfect Candidate is… an IT generalist with focus on Infrastructure.
- As a Sr Desktop/User Support Specialist, you are confident you can solve almost anything users throw at you!
- Understanding of Networking devices (LAN / WAN / VPN, Routers, Switches, Firewalls, Wi-Fi), enough to can configure, install and manage them.
- Windows 7-10 experience required, because that is what most of clients use.
- Chromebook and iOS (iPad) experience, as many of our clients have some of these too!
- Apple macOS is a plus, because there are always those few people in an organization who insist Mac is king! We want them to know we can help them as well.
- Windows Server (2012 to current) experience is a must. Although many clients are moving to the cloud there are plenty of on premise servers out there.
PCS International is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability status, or any other applicable characteristics protected by law.